Reporter - Early Career Program (Start July 2023)
Reporter – Early Career Program
Argus is an independent media organization with 1,200 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 27 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centers. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences. Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes. Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders, global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg, the specialist software and technology services investor.
What will you be doing?
Argus is looking for smart, energetic and curious early-career journalists who are interested in the vital and rapidly changing world of commodity markets, the building blocks of commerce and society. Our reporters delve deep into spot markets, identifying trends and assessing the prices that ultimately drive the global economy.
Successful candidates will begin their Argus journey through our early career program, which will expose them to several different commodity markets as well as a stint on the News team, followed by placement with a specific commodity team.
In this role, you will apply and develop your reporting skills across pricing, news and analysis and play a key role in continuing and expanding our breadth and quality of coverage. You will produce high-quality news and analysis stories and, eventually, spot commodity price coverage. In addition, you will learn and grow with Argus as you get a handle initially on various desks and learn to write in our style and voice, eventually focusing on a specific beat. You will engage with sources to ensure a close understanding of market developments through daily contact with traders, producers, consumers and other key market figures to build relationships and gather news and price information.
*Start Date July 2023*
What we’re looking for in you:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, economics or a related field.
- Demonstrable commitment to continuous learning and ability to demonstrate structured problem solving and analytical skills.
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English, and strong numeracy skills.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to network and build contacts.
- Strong coordination and time management skills with the ability to work well within a team.
- Demonstrable interest in global business and politics
- Self-motivated, able to use initiative and equipped with an inquisitive nature
What’s in it for you:
· Competitive salary with bonus
· Hybrid work model
· Group medical, dental and vision plans
· Company paid short term and long term disability and life insurance plan
· Group 401(k) safe harbor retirement plan with a 6% company match
· 20 vacation days your first year, which increases up to 30 days
· Subsidized gym membership
· Extensive internal and external training
For more details about the company and to apply please make sure you send your CV and cover letter via our website: www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions
Argus Media is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Equal Employment Opportunity Posters If you’d like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please contact us. If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please contact us. This email is provided exclusively to assist disabled job seekers whose disability prevents them from being able to apply online. Only messages sent for this purpose will be returned. Messages sent for other purposes, such as following up on an application or technical issues not related to a disability, will not receive a response.