Variant Investments, LLC is an asset manager located in Portland, Oregon that manages two rapidly growing alternative investment funds with roughly $2.3B in assets under management. Variant’s flagship fund (NICHX) targets niche market opportunities, such as investments in specialty lending, litigation finance, diamond lending, real estate, film finance, and royalties. Variant’s second product is an impact-focused fund, targeting similar esoteric opportunities, but with alignment to the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals. Variant Investments is looking for a resourceful, highly inquisitive candidate that is interested in pursuing an investment analyst role. The firm is led by an investment team with decades of experience investing in niche markets.
- Assist with due diligence on investments, which include financial and operational analysis, drafting investment memos, and documenting the due diligence process.
- Build quantitative models to support due diligence efforts on prospective investments and to monitor the current portfolio.
- Translate underlying data into investment theses that are implementable and actionable.
- Play a support role throughout the term sheet and legal documentation process. Assist in the negotiation and structuring of loans between underlying borrower and external legal counsel.
- Monitor underlying investments post-closing, including financial statement tracking, covenant compliance, and performance of borrower’s portfolio.
- Participate in investment committee meetings.
- Prepare industry-specific research as needed, where relevant and appropriate for decision making on the fund’s investment pipeline. Additionally, conduct ad hoc research on businesses and industries to protect against fraud.
- Build and/or manage analytic, business intelligence, and process improvement tools focused on investment planning, CRM, and portfolio level risks.
- Assist on other investment research initiatives.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree, with preference for Finance, Math, Economics, Financial Engineering, Data Analysis, or Business Analytics majors.
- Strong understanding of data analysis, data forecasting, and database management, with the ability to digest information and formulate opinions based on supporting data.
- Preference for strong technical skills in Excel, Power BI, and/or R, with experience working with large data sets. Experience in Salesforce is a plus.
- Candidate must be extremely detail oriented, with pride taken in their process and deliverables.
- Strong written skills.
- Ability to analyze situations in a time-sensitive manner and execute appropriate responses.
- Comfortable operating in an entrepreneurial environment with the ability to manage time and workload.
- Ability to work independently with guidance and as part of a team.
Variant provides a competitive base salary with an annual bonus and other monetary rewards corresponding with the firm’s growth. The firm covers 100% of health benefits and offers a 401k program. If interested, please send resume to email@example.com.