TEMPORARY Library Assistant: Teen Services (TE-07)
TEMPORARY Library Assistant: Teen Services (TE-07); Athens-Clarke County Library, Athens
- Status: Part-time; hourly; no benefits available
- Hours: 16 hours per week; requires some nights and occasional weekends
- Salary: $16.00 per hour
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Bilingual (Spanish and English) skills preferred, but not required.
Do you like working with teenagers? Athens Regional Library System is hiring a *TEMPORARY* Teen Activity Specialist for the Athens-Clarke County Library Teen Services Department. This position will end June 30, 2023 Athens Regional Library System is committed to our Vision: Engaging Communities, Exceeding Expectations, which we achieve through the everyday practice of our organizational values. It is through our values we provide an atmosphere and work environment that is inclusive, supportive of our diverse community, respectful, committed to excellence and welcoming.
This temporary position will create and lead engaging activities and events for teens, both in the library and out in the Athens community. This position will plan and lead a wide variety of programs, order and shop for program supplies, design program marketing materials and social media posts, and keep track of program statistics. They will also provide support for department tasks when needed. Successful applicants will be able to show they are responsible, dependable, creative, and comfortable leading groups.
A flexible schedule is required; this position will require regular afternoon and evening hours, since that is when teens are available to attend programs. Occasional weekend programs are also possible. This position reports to the Teen Services Coordinator.
Minimum Training and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required; college degree or college experience preferred.
- Experience working or volunteering with teens required.
- Experience working with the general public required.
- A combination of education, training, and experience that shows evidence of the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for the position may also be considered.
Essential Job Functions
The following duties are normal expectations, but not all-inclusive. Other duties of a similar nature may be required and assigned, and job assignments and schedules may change in the future.
- Create a welcoming and safe environment in the Teen Department; develop a positive relationship with teens who visit the library and encourage them to return.
- Develop content for age-appropriate and interesting programs that will appeal to teens; activities can be educational, recreational, or social in nature.
- Lead afternoon and evening activities for teens, working to create an engaging and fun atmosphere during teen events.
- Create and submit program plans and supply requests in a timely manner.
- Develop attractive marketing materials (flyers, social media posts, etc.) to promote teen activities and events.
- Assist with the creation of engaging social media videos to promote the department’s programs and services.
- Monitor behavior of teen patrons at the library and uphold all library policies
- Help patrons of all ages with basic library tasks such as: finding library materials, using computers, printing/copying items, and getting answers to basic questions.
- Support daily department operations when needed, including organizing and re-shelving materials, creating relevant book displays, and performing general office duties.
- This position may occasionally be asked to manage and operate the Teen Department on nights or weekends, as needed.
- Participate in at least two approved off-site outreach programs each year.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to stay up-to-date with popular culture and teen trends.
- Ability to work both independently within established guidelines, and as part of a team.
- Organizational skills and the ability to prioritize assignments and activities.
- Aptitude for creative projects such as activities, displays, crafts, and decorations.
- Ability to work with people with tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Personal computer proficiency and the ability to effectively use Google Workspace applications, social media platforms, and other software programs.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable, and punctual attendance.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills for use with coworkers and the public.
- Ability to learn and use basic office equipment, such as computers, mobile devices, tablets, printers, scanners, copiers, and cash registers.
- Knowledge of teen literature and media preferred.
- Ability to provide external and internal service that is welcoming, committed to excellence, inclusive, and respectful and that supports the community and co-workers.
- Ability to organize and shelve library materials quickly and efficiently.
- Physical demand requirements are at levels of Medium Work.