Culinary Intern - Summer 2023
Going out of your way to make guests feel welcome is just who you are. Because helping people celebrate life’s big (and little) milestones means something to you. You sound like the right kind of person to join our seasonal hospitality team during our busiest times of the year.
Pay, Work Schedule, and Other Benefits:
- Housing may be available to those who live 40 miles or greater from the corporate offices in Westfield Center, OH.
- Complimentary meal during shift.
- Chef coat provided with weekly laundering service
- 50% off green fees and cart fees for employees and accompanied guests
- 50% all apparel and 20% equipment and accessories at the Golf Shop
- 40% off a la carte, on course and pool concession F&B
- 20% off lodging at the Westfield Inn
- Onsite wellness center
- Location: Westfield Center, Ohio
About The Job:
Offering an excellent opportunity for career development while generating contacts in an exciting industry and award winning organization, the Culinary Intern will work closely with the Sous Chef to execute daily operations including: events execution, managing inventories, product presentation, waste control, timing, execution of quality service according to standards, and meal service in banquet as well as a la carte settings. They will also assist in maintaining the cleanliness, organization, safety, and sanitation of culinary areas, and ensures guest service standards are met. The Culinary Intern will have the opportunity to showcase current talents and grow skills needed to be successful. The Culinary Intern will work across the Westfield campus and will support all culinary operations including Westfield Country Club, Blair Conference Center, and Westfield Inn.
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reasons the job exists in order of importance)
- Execution of all menu categories and specific recipes for each menu item including timing, quality, temperature, portion, presentation, etc.
- Responsible for a quality guest experience according to set standards.
- Execute all events to company standards and specifications.
- Maintain cleanliness, organization, safety, and sanitation standards.
- Assist in maintaining inventory, including monthly audits.
- Improves position knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, scheduled training seminars, reading professional publications, and completing tasks assigned by manager designed to foster professional development
- Perform all other duties as assigned by manager.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order of importance)
- At least 18 years old, with a High School Diploma, GED, or commensurate experience.
- In at least the “sophomore” year of their program, and in good standing with their school
- Ability to function in a team oriented environment.
- Basic computer skills to use recipe software and POS system for banquet orders.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Organizational skills and high energy level.
- Must be available to work a flexible 30-40 hour a week schedule including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- ServeSafe Certification
- Culinary industry experience, in either a banquet or a la carte setting.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
- Ability to lift and carry 40 pounds.
- Able to work in s commercial kitchen environment for 40+ hours per week.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
- Ability to work with frequent variations in temperature, both hot and cold, typical of a commercial kitchen environment.
- Ability to work outdoors as needed.
- Ability to bend and reach.
- Be able to remain on feet; standing and walking for extended periods of time throughout the work day.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
Westfield is an insurance company that cares about relationships. We know spending time together builds trust, brings joy and creates memories. It’s what gets us excited about hosting guests at our world-class country club, conference center and inn. Come make your mark with us, even if it’s for a short time.
Learn about more current hospitality opportunities at www.westfieldinsurance.com/careers.
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.