Facilities Intern, 2023 Season
POSITION TITLE: Facilities Intern, College Program
REPORTS TO: Facility Operations Manager/Manager, Facilities
POSITION LOCATION: Indianapolis
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
WORKER CATEGORY: Intern
DURATION: January 2023 – August 2023
Penske Entertainment is a leading provider of world-class sports and entertainment. The organization consists of three prominent entities:
• Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the world’s largest spectator sporting facility and annually hosts the world’s most prestigious auto race: the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge.
• INDYCAR is the Indianapolis-based governing body for North America's premier open-wheel auto racing series, the NTT INDYCAR SERIES, and its developmental series, INDY NXT by Firestone.
• IMS Productions is a multifaceted broadcast and multimedia division that helps bring INDYCAR and IMS events to life for global audiences.
The Penske Entertainment experience is fast-paced, diverse and impactful. Through its business units, the organization reaches audiences on an international scale, focused on delivering exceptional products from start to finish. Employees of Penske Entertainment are challenged daily in a demanding, yet rewarding environment that is best suited for dedicated professionals who want to reach their ultimate potential amid the excitement, tradition, and pageantry of the World’s Greatest Race Course and our premier open-wheel racing series.
The Facilities Intern will report to the Facility Operations Manager and/or Manager of Facilities to assist the entire Facilities Department with a variety of duties in the planning and execution of events and projects at IMS. Opportunities will include exposure to facility management and preparation along with coordinating temporary rentals, staffing, and services for events. During May and August, the Facilities Intern will work directly with internal and external stakeholders to solve and troubleshoot issues or requests. This position is part of the College Program and is eligible for all programming.
- Champion the recruitment for the Non-Profit Ecology Program
- Manage the onboarding tasks for all Non-Profit Ecology Groups and seasonal employees
- Assist with the coordination and procurement of temporary rentals, services, and staffing for all events
- Monitor the Facilities email and computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) to assign and dispatch work orders; represent the Facilities Department in Pagoda Command as necessary during events
- Support the load-in and load-out of assets throughout the facility
- Help with assigned operations and production around the events in May and August
- Problem-solve and troubleshoot unforeseen challenges during events and projects
- Collaborate with skilled trades and internal departments along with contractors, service providers, and vendors on facility issues or requests
- Inspect and record repairs and maintenance needed to buildings, grounds, and structures before, during, and after events
- Create and distribute weekly project schedules and updates to the appropriate parties
- Secure credentials for the Facilities Department and contractors, service providers, and vendors
- Provide administrative support for Facilities Department
- Chevrolet vehicle fleet assistance as necessary
- Participate in all College Program professional development activities
- Other duties as assigned
- This position does not have direct supervisory responsibilities.
- This position will assist in the management of seasonal employees during event times
- Currently pursuing Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university/college
- Previous experience in the College Program or at IMS is preferred
- Strong interest in event and facility management
- Friendly and service oriented
- Willingness to build strong relationships
- Ability to listen, understand, and follow oral and written direction
- Quickly process and react to problems with minimal supervision
- Innovative thinker and self-starter with perseverance
- Proficient verbal/written communication and advanced computer skills
- Effective interpersonal and leadership skills
- No travel, however, this position requires working on some weekends as well as evening hours based upon our business needs. Flexibility and adaptability are key skills needed for this role.
- January - March: Office hours: 20 hours/week, Monday-Friday
- April & May: 40+ hours/week, including weekends
- June: Office hours: 20 hours/week, Monday-Friday
- July & August: 40+ hours/week, including weekends
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to see and hear in the normal range with or without correction, and communicate verbally and in written form with great facility and must be able to be understood
- Must have the stamina to work long hours and must be willing to work an irregular schedule, which may include weekends or evenings
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed in both an office environment and outdoors, and in proximity to other workers
- Interns will be exposed to those conditions normally encountered in a business office environment
- Interns are faced with frequent interruptions and must meet with others on a regular basis
- The noise level in the work environment can be loud, due to professional racing events
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Penske Entertainment provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities and/or events.