2023 Virginia State Golf Association P.J. Boatwright Member Outreach Internship (3 months)
The Member Outreach intern will represent the VSGA with various constituents around the state. The intern will travel throughout Virginia to interact with member clubs (green grass and social golf groups), individual members and potential members, and event participants. Along the way, the intern will highlight the VSGA, as well as golf courses, golf clubs and golfers in the commonwealth using in-person communication, social media and photography, to name a few. Duties will include, but may not be limited to:
MEMBER CLUB OUTREACH
- Visit VSGA green-grass member clubs, particularly those that are not frequently visited, to distribute materials, answer questions, promote VSGA services, learn more about the golf course and take photos. Promote and providing training on the VIP Golf Card and Youth on Course as applicable.
- Communicate with VSGA social golf group member clubs and attend group events/gatherings to distribute materials, answer questions, promote VSGA services, learn more about the group and take photos.
- Take, share and save photos of VSGA member clubs to promote them in real-time and build a database of photos to be used in the future by the VSGA.
- Bring back information on each club visited (i.e. scorecards, course notes) to update VSGA files.
- Play golf at member clubs, ideally with other golfers, as part of highlighting the club.
INDIVIDUAL MEMBER AND POTENTIAL MEMBER OUTREACH
- Promote the VSGA, the benefits of membership and the VIP Golf Card in various ways both in-person and digitally.
- Partner with VSGA member clubs to arrange a window of time to have a presence near the first tee to promote the benefits of VSGA membership and the VIP Golf Card (if applicable) to golfers at the course that day.
- Identify outreach opportunities that highlight diverse groups of members and potential members.
- Promote Youth on Course and the Junior Golf Circuit to member clubs as well as junior golfers throughout travels.
VSGA EVENT PARTICIPANT OUTREACH
- Attend VSGA championships and assist with player welcoming, registration and player gift distribution on the first day of select championships.
- Attend One-Day events to highlight event participants and/or host clubs.
- Attend Junior Golf Circuit events to highlight event participants and/or host clubs.
- Assist in other ways identified to improve the player experience at VSGA events.
MARKETING AND SOCIAL MEDIA
- Work with Canva and other design platforms to produce social media posts related to travel and other marketing efforts.
- Work with Manager, Marketing and Business Development and Manager, Media and Communications to help produce marketing materials for outside distribution, both in print and digital platforms.
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION (when in the VSGA office)
- Communicate with member clubs in advance of travel.
- Update database to reflect date of visits to member clubs.
- Meet and greet customers in a professional, polite, and courteous manner.
- Answer phones and transfer to appropriate staff member.
- Retrieve, open, and date stamp mail and deliver to appropriate staff member.
- Perform general clerical duties including, but not limited to: photocopying, faxing, mailing, and filing.
- Ability to live in the greater Richmond area during internship.
- Willingness to travel (in many cases by yourself) and ability to drive company vehicles. Valid driver’s license required.
- Willingness and ability to work early mornings and weekends, when necessary.
- Photography experience a plus.
- Proficiency with social media platforms, especially Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
- Outgoing personality and comfort interacting with various constituents.
- Public speaking experience a plus.
- Knowledge of golf and comfort in playing the game preferred.
A cover letter, resume, and three references (including reference’s name, relationship to applicant, address, email, and phone number) are required. On resume, include major, overall GPA, and in-major GPA. The position will be open until filled.