2023 P.J. Boatwright: Virginia State Golf Association Communications & Member Services Internship (3 months)
The Communications/Member Services intern works in conjunction with the Manager, Media and Communications, members of the Tournament staff, and with the Director, Handicapping and Member Services. The intern will help with all aspects of the communications department, including tournament coverage (writing, photography and social media), and Virginia Golfer magazine (writing and editing). The intern will gain experience in all aspects of the member services department, including handicapping, course rating and technology products the VSGA offers to both clubs and golfers. Duties will include, but may not be limited to:
- Production of previews for VSGA men’s, women’s and junior championships.
- On-site coverage of tournaments, including photography, writing, some videos and social media updates.
- Work with Canva and similar design platforms to produce social media posts in conjunction with tournament coverage and other VSGA marketing efforts.
- Distribution of tournament coverage to statewide media list.
- Production of the weekly VSGA clubhouse email newsletter.
- Update VSGA.org with recent news items as necessary.
- Contribution of photos and stories to Virginia Golfer magazine.
- Page proofing and editing of Virginia Golfer magazine.
- Maintain and update Command and GHIN to ensure Virginia Golfer mailing list accuracy.
- Assist Tournament staff on site when needed when not conducting communications duties.
- Work with Manager, Marketing & Business Development to help produce marketing materials for outside distribution, both in print and digital platforms.
- Provide support for the VSGA’s mobile app, MyVSGA, to individual members of the VSGA.
- Document bugs and other issues with MyVSGA.
- Provide support for the VSGA’s handicap management software, GHIN, to member clubs.
- Provide support for the VSGA’s tournament management software, Golf Genius, to member clubs.
- Receive orders for tournament supplies from VSGA member clubs.
- Work with member clubs to design and print custom scoresheets as part of the VSGA’s Scoreboard Printing Service.
- Answer inquiries from VSGA members and member clubs concerning handicap-related issues.
- Assist staff with managing the inventory of hardware at VSGA member clubs.
- Attend course ratings and participate as a member of the rating team.
- Meet and greet customers in a professional, polite, and courteous manner.
- Answer phones and transfer to appropriate staff member.
- Retrieve, open, and date stamp mail and deliver to appropriate staff member.
- Perform general clerical duties including, but not limited to: photocopying, faxing, mailing, and filing.
- Ability to live in the greater Richmond area during internship.
- Preferred areas of study include: journalism, communications, PR or related field.
- Willingness to travel and ability to drive company vehicles to tournaments. Valid driver’s license required.
- Willingness and ability to work early mornings and weekends, when necessary.
- News writing and editing skills, ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Photography experience a plus.
- Proficiency with social media platforms, especially Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
- Knowledge of golf preferred. PGM students are eligible. PGA professionals/apprentices are ineligible.
Please click here to submit your application. A cover letter, resume, and three references (including reference’s name, relationship to applicant, address, email, and phone number) are required. On resume, include major, overall GPA, and in-major GPA. The position will be open until filled.