Outreach Educator Internship
The Outreach team delivers programs in local school classrooms, natural areas, and online, to provide meaningful STEM
experiences to thousands of students in Northwest Indiana. They help students create connections, build confidence, and
develop a sense of place by providing opportunities to explore, ask questions, reflect, and work together.
Our Outreach Educator Internship provides an opportunity for next generation leaders to receive training and coaching to
develop their naturalist, outdoor education, and resource interpretation skills and techniques. Outreach Educators work both
as a team and independently to lead a variety of programs to a wide audience in diverse settings, often working closely with
public school systems and partners throughout the year. In the summer, the outreach team leads day-camps based at Indiana
Dunes National Park’s historic Chellberg Farm and assists with residential camps. Outreach Educator Interns have
opportunities to extend their professional development through workshops, in-services, and networking.
● Facilitate virtual and in-person programs throughout Lake, Porter, and LaPorte Counties in coordination with partners.
● Assist in the development of Outreach programs.
● Communicate with school teachers and coalition staff for teacher training workshops and other program meetings.
● Maintain a positive mental attitude and serve as a role model for responsible environmental behavior and literacy.
● Ensure safety and well-being of program participants using sound judgment and applying appropriate decisions by
following safety protocol and reporting incidents, near misses, or possible hazards.
● Attend program staff trainings and professional development as needed.
● Assist in the maintenance, inventory, and data entry of all program supplies, equipment,
facilities, and grant tracking needs.
● Actively participate to support fundraising efforts.
● Comply with all Dunes Learning Center policies and represent DLC in a professional manner at all times.
● Perform all assigned duties critical to the operation of the Dunes Learning Center.
To qualify for the Outreach Educator Internship, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. Dunes Learning
Center aims to make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. All
Dunes Learning Center employees must submit to a background check and possible drug screening.
● Bachelor’s degree preferred or some formal education with equivalent experience, by June 2022
● Teaching experience with children in a formal or non-formal setting
● Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills
● Proficient in Google applications
● Commitment to equity and inclusion
● Physically able to perform duties outdoors, in all weather conditions, and hike several miles over dune terrain while
carrying a 25-lb backpack
● Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide documentation
● A willingness to be coached and to receive feedback
● Ability to work independently, as well as on a team
● Ability to adapt and revise quickly
● Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and occasional weekends
● Possess a valid driver’s license and a vehicle for reliable transportation for local travel
● Experience with environmental education and/or interpretation
● Knowledge of the local ecology of the Calumet Region
● Design and drawing skills
● Ability to speak Spanish
● Current CPR and First Aid Certification
Outreach Educator Interns are required to regularly stand for long periods of time and walk up to 5 miles per day on sandy
dune terrain while carrying a 25-lb backpack in all weather conditions. Outreach Educator Interns must be able to verbally
communicate and have visual abilities that allow them to deliver programs safely.
● $520 weekly stipend (average 40 hours per week)
● 2 weeks of paid furlough and holidays
● Eligible for health insurance
● Shared housing (private bedroom)
● Professional development opportunities
● Meals when groups are in residence and schedule permits