2023 Graduate - Software Engineer - Shipboard Systems
Do you want to become an expert in creating and maintaining high-quality databases and analysis software?
Do you love the challenge of connecting codes and models together across multiple programming languages?
Do you care deeply about the mission of the United States Navy and want to make an immediate and significant impact?
If you are graduating with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a closely related field, we’d love to have you join our team!
We are seeking a Software Engineer ready to take on new challenges with us as we dive into the emerging territory of Model-Based Engineering (MBE) and Digital Engineering (DE). You will join a team of multi-disciplinary staff who are developing new approaches for analysis of deployed systems and the development and integration of new system concepts onto submarines. We help our sponsors and the associated industry contractors maintain existing deployed Navy systems, develop new systems and modifications to existing systems, and embrace the changes necessary to modernize our approach to data storage and analysis in the brave new world of MBE/DE.
As a Software Engineer, you will:
- Learn and maintain our legacy software applications (written in C++), with an eye towards modernization in all aspects of the code.
- Prototype new approaches to data storage and display, utilizing database and engineering tools such as SQL Server, R, MATLAB/Simulink, and Unity.
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams (e.g., Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering) to integrate tools into automated workflows.
- Implement RESTful API calls to access databases and connect various engineering programs.
- Create data visualization applications using the Unity game engine (with scripting in C#), potentially using Virtual or Augmented Reality.
- Develop software in an Agile team setting using GitLab, Jira, etc.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a closely related field.
- Have a strong curiosity about Model-Based Engineering and/or Digital Engineering.
- Are willing and able to travel occasionally (5%) to US Navy facilities, bases and contractor sites.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have professional experience (e.g., internships) as a Software Engineer, particularly with a focus on MBE/DE for mechanical systems.
- Have experience with submarines or weapon launcher systems, or any other Navy-related experience.
- Have experience with databases and model integration.
- Have an active Secret or Top Secret security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.