Managing Editorial Internship, Spring 2023
Who we are
Founded in 1923, W. W. Norton is the oldest and largest independent and employee-owned publishing house, publishing works of Nobel laureates, master teachers, and Pulitzer Prize winners. For a century, Norton has been dedicated to achieving a common goal: to bring to readers and students enduring fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, as well as high-quality textbooks and digital learning tools.
About the internship
W. W. Norton is looking for interns to participate in our twelve-week internship program. Our internship program provides participants with an engaging, supportive, and hands-on learning experience in publishing that includes brown bag lunch sessions and networking within the intern class. Your work if you become a Norton intern with the Managing Editorial team may include the following:
· Managing multiple projects at various stages (manuscript, proofs, and blues)
· Practicing PDF mark-up with copyediting marks and editorial queries
· Cross-checking and proofreading page proofs for a variety of disciplines, including Chemistry, Psychology of Women, They Say / I Say, Enjoyment of Music, the Norton Anthologies, and the Norton Critical Editions
· Reviewing design packets and checking manuscripts for accurate design coding
· Giving feedback on first-edition manuscripts and book proposals
· Reviewing project schedules to make sure all materials (digital and print) are on track
· Assisting developmental editors with their research on science and humanities textbooks
· Copyediting table of contents, indexes, and marketing material Updating style sheets based on The Chicago Manual of Style
· Scoring new freelancer copyediting and proofreading tests Meeting with project editors and developmental editors to learn more about the industry
Why you’ll be a great fit
We are excited to add interns who bring diverse perspectives to Norton. The ideal candidate is curious, hardworking, and eager to learn more about the different facets of publishing. Here are some skills and qualities we look for in candidates:
· Multitasking for print and digital projects at various stages in the production process
· Collaborating with book teams as well as working independently
· Interest in a variety of academic disciplines
· Reviewing manuscripts for accurate design coding
· Writing up constructive feedback on first-edition manuscripts
· Researching and fact-checking for developmental editors
· Basic copyediting and proofreading skills
· Prior knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
· Interns are paid $15 per hour and work a maximum of 20 hours weekly.
· Internship period is twelve weeks from 2/6/23—4/28/23.
· Our workday is 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time; specific work hours are flexible to accommodate an intern’s schedule.
· For interns who reside within commuting distance of the office, this internship will be in-person in our Manhattan offices; those in other locations will work remotely.
· Eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the U.S. is required.
· W. W. Norton & Company ("Norton") strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. To that end, being fully vaccinated is a condition of employment for any Norton intern who will perform any work in our offices or be physically present at any Norton location or event at any time. Norton makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities, sincerely held religious beliefs, or other conditions protected by applicable law.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org by January 3, 2023. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Once you have submitted your application, please refrain from sending additional follow-up emails, as these will only delay the hiring manager’s ability to read the applications received. Final hiring decisions will be made by January 20, 2023, so if you do not hear from us by then, you can assume the internship has been filled by a different applicant. You must follow these submission instructions in order to be considered for the internship. Intern applicants who apply via our website will not be considered.