Composition, Communication, and Literature Internship, Spring 2023
Who we are
Founded in 1923, W. W. Norton is the oldest and largest independent and employee-owned publishing house, publishing works of Nobel laureates, master teachers, and Pulitzer Prize winners. For a century, Norton has been dedicated to achieving a common goal: to bring to readers and students enduring fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, as well as high-quality textbooks and digital learning tools.
About the internship
W. W. Norton is looking for interns to participate in our twelve-week internship program. Our internship program provides participants with an engaging, supportive, and hands-on learning experience in publishing that includes brown bag lunch sessions and networking within the intern class. Your work if you become a Norton intern with the Composition and Literature Print and Media Editorial team may include the following:
· Assisting with manuscript preparation and production for anthologies, readers, and handbooks across the composition and literature list
· Reading manuscripts, proposals, and proofs at various stages of publication to help editors and authors improve the quality of print and digital content
· Creating permissions copies for new inclusions in Norton anthologies or readers
· Learning the basics of copyediting and proofreading
· Maintaining databases of key information such as student writing competition submissions and editorial reviews
· Creating reports to analyze and collate qualitative and quantitative data from editorial reviews and surveys
· Working with the editorial assistants to complete projects as needed for the composition and literature teams
Why you’ll be a great fit
We are excited to add interns who bring diverse perspectives to Norton. The ideal candidate is curious, hardworking, and eager to learn more about the different facets of publishing. Here are some skills and qualities we look for in candidates:
· You are a college junior, senior, or recent graduate.
· You are eager to improve your verbal and written communication skills.
· You enjoy collaborating and working in a group to solve challenges.
· You have a passion for learning and ideas.
· You are excited to learn about the world of college publishing.
· You have interest or experience in the fields of composition and literature.
· You have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook).
· Interns are paid $15 per hour and work a maximum of 20 hours weekly.
· Internship period is twelve weeks from 2/6/23-4/28/23.
· Our workday is 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time; specific work hours are flexible to accommodate an intern’s schedule.
· For interns who reside within commuting distance of the office, this internship will be in-person in our Manhattan offices; those in other locations will work remotely.
· Eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the U.S. is required.
· W. W. Norton & Company ("Norton") strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. To that end, being fully vaccinated is a condition of employment for any Norton intern who will perform any work in our offices or be physically present at any Norton location or event at any time. Norton makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities, sincerely held religious beliefs, or other conditions protected by applicable law.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and cover letter to Caroline Fairey (firstname.lastname@example.org), Serin Lee (email@example.com), and Juliet Godwin (firstname.lastname@example.org) by January 3, 2023. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Once you have submitted your application, please refrain from sending additional follow-up emails, as these will only delay the hiring manager’s ability to read the applications received. Final hiring decisions will be made by 1/20/23, so if you do not hear from us by then, you can assume the internship has been filled by a different applicant. You must follow these submission instructions in order to be considered for the internship. Intern applicants who apply via our website will not be considered.