Higher Ed. Research and Data Entry Remote Internship, Spring 2023
Who we are
Founded in 1923, W. W. Norton is the oldest and largest independent and employee-owned publishing house, publishing works of Nobel laureates, master teachers, and Pulitzer Prize winners. For a century, Norton has been dedicated to achieving a common goal: to bring to readers and students enduring fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, as well as high-quality textbooks and digital learning tools.
About the internship:
W. W. Norton is looking for interns to participate in our 12-week remote internship program. Our internship program provides participants with an engaging, supportive, and hands-on learning experience in publishing that includes mentorships with experienced Norton employees and networking within the intern class. Your work if you become a Norton intern may include the following:
· Maintaining lists and databases of key information such as K-12 and higher ed. program and institutions specifics, as well as key contacts for outreach.
· Data entry/import into Salesforce.
· Synthesizing/analyzing/streamlining robust data sets to optimize business operations in the College Department, specifically for digital business.
· Compiling data for use in marketing materials, advertising emails, and in presentations.
· Potentially drafting, updating, and preparing marketing copy for the design phase.
· Researching market trends and key contacts for use in advertising and targeted outreach.
· Providing the student perspective on key topics in higher ed., which could inform messaging and strategy.
· Gaining exposure to legislative processes as they relate to higher ed. publishing.
· Updating Inclusive Access-related program information to Salesforce as needed.
Why you’ll be a great fit
We are excited to add interns who bring diverse perspectives to Norton. The ideal candidate is resourceful, hardworking, and eager to learn more about the different facets of publishing. Here are some skills and qualities we look for in candidates:
· You are a college junior, senior, or recent graduate.
· You are comfortable working with spreadsheets and straightforward data entry (compiling, streamlining, and delivering data).
· You enjoy conducting online research and uncovering leads.
· You are a self-starter and remain motivated even when given autonomy.
· You are capable of teaching yourself new skills by utilizing the Internet and other resources to master processes and platforms you aren’t familiar with.
· You are comfortable admitting when you don’t know something and are eager to ask questions to gain more knowledge.
· You are eager to improve your verbal and written communication skills.
· You have a working knowledge of, and are proficient in, Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook), as well as Salesforce. Mail merge experience is a plus.
· You appreciate good organization and like to think of ways to improve operations.
· Interns are paid $15 per hour and work a maximum of 20 hours weekly.
· Internship period is twelve weeks from 2/6/2023 (Monday) to 4/28/2023 (Friday).
· Our workday is 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time; specific work hours are flexible to accommodate an intern’s schedule.
· Eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and cover letter to Laura Knox (firstname.lastname@example.org) by January 3rd, 2023. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Once you have submitted your application, please refrain from sending additional follow-up emails, as these will only delay the hiring manager’s ability to read the applications received. Final hiring decisions will be made by 1/20/23, so if you do not hear from us by then, you can assume the internship has been filled by a different applicant. You must follow these submission instructions in order to be considered for the internship. Intern applicants who apply via our website will not be considered.