Marketing and Communications Manager
The primary responsibility for the Marketing & Communications Manager is to serve as the lead public relations employee for the Department of Recreational Sports. This incumbent coordinates and participates in the implementation of promotional ideas and activities for the department and functions as the supervisor for other PR positions. This position reports to the Associate Director for Programs.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
- Proficiency in MAC operating systems including In-Design and/or Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to work independently, conceptualize projects and manage multiple priorities.
- Perform creative writing and related activities with skill (e.g., conducting interviews, researching and copy editing).
- Communicate effectively.
- Understand and accurately interpret information and develop appropriate responses.
- Work with a wide variety of constituents to creatively resolve problems and develop solutions.
- Demonstrate experience in administrating successful social media sites and campaigns.
Public Relations (30%)
- Creating, directing, administrating, implementing, communicating, and marketing a comprehensive customer communications plan for the Department of Recreational Sports inclusive of goals, financial objectives and evaluation strategies.
- Conceptualize, coordinate, and produce customer-focused print and digital publications and manage the contributions of staff, photographers, videographers, designers and printers.
- Responsible for editorial direction of all publications and productions that are created and distributed.
- Create and maintain a departmental annual report to be made available electronically to stakeholders.
- Work with division’s Director of Communications and Marketing Initiatives to compose feature stories and other related information to promote programs, events and activities to both on-campus and external audiences.
- Coordinate annual presence at all orientation events to adequately promote the department and its offerings. (e.g., student orientation sessions, new faculty orientation, other University events).
- Collaborate with the Director’s team to respond to general requests from the media and other stakeholders.
- Educate staff and students on the University brand and serve as the liaison between Recreational Sports and the University Trademarks office, Marketing & Communications, and the UGA Athletic Association.
- Maintain a knowledge base of all departmental programs and functions, Division of Student Affairs functions and general university offices.
- Collaborate and communicate with the Director of Communications and Marketing Initiatives for the Division of Student Affairs to ensure the department is aligned with division communication goals.
- Provide marketing research services to target and work with the department’s program areas to enhance marketing strategies.
- Remain proficient and aware of new media potentials and capitalize on cutting edge trends and technologies to effectively communicate with the department’s stakeholders.
- Assist with developing strategies to improve program participation and membership recruitment and services including customer service, membership sales and retention.
- Participate in budget development for marketing and promotional initiatives.
- Oversee purchasing and upkeep of all marketing department equipment and supplies
Personnel Management (15%)
- Supervise and mentor a graduate assistant and the marketing team consisting of 8 to 10 student employees who serve as graphic designers, photographers, videographers, and coordinate social media.
- Create guidelines, structure, and job descriptions for the marketing team.
Systems Management (10%)
- Serve as the main point of contact for facility digital signage.
- Creates digital media schedule for all screens.
- Work with department staff to create announcements and imaging.
- Ensures that facility closings or varied hours of operation as well as major announcements are displayed in a timely fashion.
- Serve as administrator for department social media outlets to include Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest and HootSuite.
- Oversee content that is posted on a regular basis to the various outlets.
- Work with area programmers to obtain content appropriate for posting.
- Serve as lead content manager for departmental website, including updating staff directory and online organizational chart.
- Provide updates for the Division of Student Affairs website, including updating staff and event information.
Student Well-Being (10%)
- Work with Associate Vice President for Student Well-being and other departments in the Division of Student Affairs to advance and support the divisional and institutional goals of enhancing student well-being.
- Curate digital and printed marketing materials to promote departments and programs in the Division of Student Affairs that focus on student well-being.
- Serves as facilitator between Recreational Sports departments, and liaisons with other Well-being Resources departments for shared work.
- Oversees internal communications efforts and ensures that the function is being effectively carried out within the guidelines established by the director and the administrative staff, working in consultation with the Student Affairs talent management lead.
Strategic Management & Planning (5%)
- Represent the department on the Student Affairs Communications group (SACOMM), the University’s Strategic Communications group (STRATCOMM), and any other relevant group(s).
- Identifies and develops leadership opportunities for students interested in recreational issues or pursuing careers in recreation and is the sponsor and coordinator for Recreational Sports Student Advisory Committee.
- The RSSAC informs the Director on student needs and perspectives and as such serves a critical strategic role and serves as ambassadors for campus and student recreational opportunities.
- Participate on University, division, and departmental task forces and committees as needed, as well as participate in other professional development activities.
- Actively participate on the golf tournament planning committee to develop print and digital products to recruit sponsors, vendors, and participants.
- Assume other duties as assigned that are consistent with the purpose and scope of this position.
To view the complete posting and apply, visit: https://www.ugajobsearch.com/postings/291027
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (firstname.lastname@example.org).