2023 Graduate - Intelligent Autonomous Systems and Artificial Intelligence Engineer - Modeling, Simulation and Analysis
- Are you passionate about innovating new technologies that are vital to our Nation’s future security?
- Are you interested in working in multi-disciplinary teams to advance the state-of-the-art in autonomous systems, artificial intelligence, software design, embedded systems, virtual reality, simulation and/or unmanned air platforms?
- Are you interested in applying your skills in math, computer science, physics, and/or engineering to conceive, design, prototype and test new capabilities in intelligent autonomous systems that will save US warfighter’s lives and ensure our nation’s preeminence?
If you are graduating with a degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) related area and you answered “yes” to any of these questions, we are looking for someone like you to join our team in the Intelligent Combat Platforms Group at APL! All candidates with a strong technical background, high initiative, and the ability to think critically and creatively are encouraged to apply with or without experience in AI.
Who are we?
We are the Intelligent Combat Platforms Group and our mission focus is to ensure our Nation maintains the operational advantage on the future battlefield through foundational advances in artificial intelligence, autonomy, manned-unmanned teaming and novel unmanned aircraft design (e.g., drones) and testing. We believe the future of warfare will be defined by intelligent autonomous systems capable of fighting with machine precision at machine speeds. Our objective is to advance the technologies needed to enable machine precision decisions at machine speeds for future autonomous systems and warfighters aided with intelligent assistants. Whether it is developing the intelligence that drives autonomous wingmen behaviors, integrated real-time collaboration tools and data analytic architectures, or novel AI design tools and software, the Intelligent Combat Platforms Group is at the forefront. Three of our recent game-changing projects (DARPA Air Combat Evolution, AFRL Golden Horde, and Air Force SkyBorg) are featured in recent news articles, highlighting our impact and innovation.
We are seeking inquisitive and creative team members who like to tackle challenging problems to help us build the next generation of AI enabled combat systems and shape the future of warfare. Our team is an entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary team committed to developing technical talent, fostering a culture of innovation and collaboration, while having fun with what we do!
As a member of our team, you will…
- Work on collaborative teams in one or more areas: intelligent control and decision-making, complex battlefield management, human-machine/multi-agent collaboration, networked distributed systems and reinforced learning, software/hardware design, flight system test and evaluation, and next generation autonomous air platforms.
- Prototype and simulate AI systems by writing code, developing software (simulation and visualization), creating algorithms, interfacing software/hardware, and supporting real-time tests of autonomy in live, virtual, and simulated environments.
- Contribute to all facets of the data-to-deployment lifecycle of machine learning models
- Collaborate with the nation’s leading experts in AI enabled combat systems and work with a diverse team of engineers, scientists, and software developers to deliver impactful capability to the warfighter.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a STEM (math, computer science, physics, and/or engineering or related area).
- Are skilled in or have the ability to learn C++, Python, and software design patterns.
- Are able to obtain a Secret security clearance - if selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Have classroom or professional experience working with any of our core skills: autonomous systems, artificial intelligence, deep/reinforcement/machine learning, robotics, dynamics and controls, flight test and evaluation, modeling and simulation, aerodynamics, air combat platform design, data science, and statistical analysis.
- Have experience developing in a modern software development environment that includes automated testing, continuous integration and deployment, and "DevSecOps" environments.
- Have experience working with sensors, hardware, or flight test support.
- Have completed any certifications or internships.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.