Human Factors Engineering Intern -2023 Summer Program
The Career Potential
We are excited to announce that Ortho Clinical Diagnostics is now becoming QuidelOrtho! This transaction will bring together two world-class teams and complementary product portfolios to serve patients around the world.
Ortho Clinical Diagnostics is committed to improving and saving lives with diagnostics. To do this we hire people who share this dream and are ready for new adventures. As a valued team member, you will carve your own career path and be part of building this company stronger and better than ever before. There is no limit to the experiences, opportunities, and new directions you will have access to here at Ortho Clinical Diagnostics. More importantly, you will be driving the surge of a whole new direction in important medicine. That’s something we can all take pride in as we take this journey together.
Ortho is known in the industry as a leader in customer service and support. Deeply understanding and exceeding the needs of our clinical lab, hospital, and blood bank customers is what we do. It’s who we are. If you join Ortho, no matter what your role, you will be expected to keep that Customer Excellence focus in your work.
As QuidelOrtho continues to grow, we are seeking a Human Factors Engineering Intern who will be a part of the User Experience (UX) Engineering Team. Assignments and responsibilities will focus on the development of a use-related risk library and standardization of various tasks within the UX Process. The Human Factors Engineering Intern will be responsible for documenting their work in formal reports and templates. This position is onsite in Rochester, NY, and will be part of the 2023 Summer Internship Program.
As a Human Factors Engineering Intern within the R&D Department at QuidelOrtho, you will have the opportunity to work on projects in a multi-disciplinary team environment. Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Working closely with QuidelOrtho UX Engineers to learn the UX research and design process throughout the product development lifecycle
- Shadowing UX Engineers at cross-functional team meetings to gain exposure to the collaborative design process
- Developing an organized library of use-related risks and associated harms through learning and becoming familiar with the wide array of use-related risks associated with QuidelOrtho medical devices
Interns are expected to inspire the R&D team to think creatively, challenge the normative, and improve the user experience in all aspects of our products and services. We are looking for a well-rounded, talented, and self-motivated rising junior or senior who possesses exceptional analytical, design, and presentation skills is articulate, eager to learn, and is interested in the rewarding challenge of medical device design.
- 1-on-1 mentorship with a QuidelOrtho UX Engineer to gain insights into Human Factors Engineering in the medical device industry
- Opportunity to meet and learn from team members from an extensive range of backgrounds and experiences
- Creating templates to standardize UX activities, such as task analyses, across product platforms
- Assisting QuidelOrtho UX Engineers during formative usability studies, summative usability studies, or expert reviews by observing user interactions and collecting data for analysis
The Job Deliverables
The job deliverables will include UX templates, formal reports, and team presentations. A final poster at the end of the internship is also expected to showcase the work that was completed.
- Currently enrolled in a bachelor’s degree or graduate program majoring in Human Factors or Human Factors Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, User Experience, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, or other related fields.
- Minimum Year in school: Rising Junior or beyond
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Experience using MS Office Suite, especially MS Excel
- Solid understanding of user-centered design, including user research and usability testing
- Knowledge of human factors principles as it relates to UI design
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate and present designs and recommendations
- Ability to work within constraints, as well as to challenge constraints to support good design
- Ability to be flexible and work independently on multiple different projects
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Interns should be prepared to fully commit to the start and end dates proposed
- Interns are expected to provide their housing, travel, and any other requirements necessary for their participation in this program
- Design skills, such as creating low and high-fidelity prototypes and wireframes, following an iterative design process
- Technical writing skills, or the ability to write concisely and comprehensively
The student is encouraged to include a sample of a portfolio of any design work, or a link to an online portfolio, along with their application and resume.
The pay range for the Internship Program is between $16/hr to $30/hr, The pay rate will be determined by the year in school, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the candidate. Benefits are not included for this position.