Northstar Travel Group is the largest and most trusted B2B travel media and information company in the world. At Northstar, our mission is to generate insights and inspire change in the travel, meetings and hospitality industries with thought-provoking content, impactful solutions, and engaging experiences for business leaders. We believe that travel connects us to new people, places and experiences around the world, transforming our understanding of humanity.
We are looking for a News Editor to join our PhocusWire team. You will be responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations of the web-based media brand, including coordinating and editing all copy, steering coverage of the news agenda and content strategy, managing newsletter and website and producing their own daily and long-form content.
You will also support the Editor in Chief in helping shape the wider editorial strategy of the brand, including a role in other digital initiatives that may include video, webinars and podcasts. Some travel will be required to attend conferences and other live events.
This is a remote position and is open to candidates based in the United States. We also have an office in Rutherford, New Jersey for those who favor to be in an office a few days a week.
What You’ll Do:
- Oversee news meetings, focusing on both immediate and long-term editorial needs
- Spearhead brainstorming and planning to create a consistent pipeline of strong enterprise stories
- Assist reporters in developing story ideas and finding sources
- Edit and publish breaking news as well as daily and enterprise stories, ensuring adherence to style guide and SEO guidelines
- Produce daily news stories and long-form articles, commission external op-eds
- Build and execute daily e-newsletter and website homepage updates
- Conduct interviews/host/moderate during online and in-person events
- Coordinate team schedule during Phocuswright conferences
- Maintain PhocusWire style guide
- Assist EIC with onboarding new hires
Who You Are:
- 5+ years’ experience as a senior reporter or editor at a daily news service. Journalism degree preferred.
- Excellent writing and copy-editing skills and strong news judgment.
- Ability to work under both breaking news and long-term planning deadlines.
- Desire to be first and best with breaking news.
- Strict ethics and dedication to high quality journalism.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and ability to work with a remote, geographically dispersed team.
- Understanding of content management systems, newsletter platforms, social media and SEO techniques.
- Excellent communications skills, including an ability to represent the brand at live events
- A collaborative personality.
- Resourceful, able to anticipate needs and bring new ideas to the newsroom.
- Solid knowledge of issues in the e-commerce and technology sectors.
- Comfortable with audio and video formats.
The following core competencies are expected of PhocusWire employees:
- Works harmoniously with colleagues. Shares critical information, works effectively across functional lines, recognizes others for their contributions. Treats people inside and outside the company with dignity and respect.
- Identifies what needs to be done and takes appropriate action. Innovates, creates and looks for solutions that will benefit the business.
- Handles self professionally. Performs work in a timely manner with consistent attention to quality. Follows through and meets all commitments. Manages time and resources effectively (including attendance).
Continuous learning and improvement
- Seeks out opportunities to improve skills for current responsibilities and future needs. Embraces new technology, systems and assignments. Considers feedback openly and adapts behavior as needed.
- Goal-oriented. Acts with urgency. Strives for successful outcomes with external audiences.
To Join Our Team:
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Northstar Travel Group is a great place to work, learn and grow. We seek impressive individuals to contribute fresh ideas and strengthen our team in all departments and specialties. We welcome creativity, dedication, drive and passion and offer a fast-paced and fun environment, opportunity and work/life balance. You can view our Career's page here: https://www.northstartravelgroup.com/About-Us/Career.
Diversity & Inclusion:
At Northstar, we believe that our workforce should reflect the vast diversity of the cultures and communities that are experienced through travel. We know that our greatest strengths come from the people who make up our team, and we are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, inclusive, accessible and equitable culture and workplace. Our work is far from over – we continuously push to be better. We understand that diverse voices, points of view and contributions are at the heart of Northstar’s success and impact.
Our Response to Covid-19:
All Northstar new hires, as well as existing employees who attend events and/or come into contact with other employees, are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and demonstrate documentation toward the same.