P.M. Emerging News Reporter
Emerging News reporter
This is a great opportunity for an aggressive and curious reporter to join the emerging news team at The Morning Call. We are looking for a digitally savvy journalist who can move quickly and independently to turn around stories on everything from crime to weather to trending topics, driven by our awareness of what readers are thinking and talking about. You'll report on breaking news across various beats, collaborating with other reporters and looking out for the second-day story on the first day. You need to work quickly, creatively and decisively. You will develop sources and mine social media and the digital world for leads.
This beat works afternoons and evenings when some of the top stories occur. Accuracy and clean writing on tight deadlines are essential. The successful candidate must be a self-starter with a college degree and some journalism experience. We are looking for applicants who have solid news judgment, strong digital and social media skills, and an ability to track down sources on short notice. The ability to juggle multiple stories, produce a variety of content both quickly and accurately, and change gears based on a variety of factors, including audience demand, is essential.
The position is remote but must be local to Allentown, Pa.
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments and create compelling content that engages a digital audience, including alternative story forms.
- Must be adept and agile at handling emerging news, consistently beating the competition.
- Possess excellent reporting and writing skills to accurately produce live and quick-turnaround pieces, while also having the ability to write longer, more complex enterprise stories with context and perspective.
- Uses social media to build an audience and as a reporting tool.
- Able to develop sources and resources, generate a majority of story ideas and meet deadlines to create content placing the utmost emphasis on balanced reporting and high ethical standards.
Candidates should have a bachelor's degree, journalism preferred, and some professional reporting experience.
Other requirements of the position include:
- Work the equivalent of a 5-day, 40-hour week, including night shifts.
- Possess excellent communication skills, show initiative and exercise good news judgment.
- Ability to handle daily, short-term and long-term assignments simultaneously.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
The Morning Call offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401K with company match, paid vacation and personal days.
The Morning Call is a Tribune Publishing newspaper, located in the thriving Lehigh Valley, the third-most populous region in the state, 60 miles north of Philadelphia and 90 miles west of New York City.
Interested applicants should provide a resume, 3-5 writing samples and links to online work, if available. References should be furnished when requested. Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org