New Orleans Health Department Data Associate - AmeriCorps VISTA Service Year
The City of New Orleans VISTA program is implemented by the Office of Mayor LaToya Cantrell and the Health Department. The City seeks passionate individuals to enhance capacity for program approaches that address inequities in our community. New Orleans is a welcoming city with a unique culture, natural outdoor spaces, and a reputation for hospitable and friendly residents.
The New Orleans Health Department's mission is to promote, protect, and improve the health of all in our community through equitable policies, programs, and partnerships. We achieve this with community-based initiatives focused on behavioral health, sexual violence, and transportation safety, among others. We partner with other government agencies, non-profit organizations, and community leaders throughout New Orleans to ensure our work reaches all residents.
This VISTA Service Year is dedicated to improving the Public Health Emergencies and the Environmental Health Unit's capacity to collect, manage, and disseminate relevant data. This project will include guiding the improvement of data collection across various activities, developing a database that can support data analysis, and designing dashboards and other data visualization approaches for disseminating findings.
This project is an excellent opportunity to be at the forefront of a critical challenge to many public service programs – the ability to utilize data for decision-making appropriately. Through this project, you will get insight into the inner workings of local government, as well engaging in a unit that aims to address a wide range of dynamic public health challenges (e.g., homelessness, climate change, pandemics).
Throughout the one year of service, the VISTA member will work with the New Orleans Health Department to:
- Develop and implement procedures for effective data management.
- Create rules and procedures for data collection, storage, and sharing.
- Assess data collection and storage systems and make recommendations for improvements.
- Collaborate with team members to collect and analyze data
- Develop dashboards, infographics, and other methods to visualize data
- Create presentations and reports based on recommendations and findings
If you are interested in serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA, please note the following:
- AmeriCorps is a national service year requiring 12 months of service, full time work hours (M-F, 9-5, in-person) and flexible hours on occasion.
- Team members must either be fully vaccinated or present a negative test every week to work at City Hall.
- For their national service, members receive a bi-weekly living allowance of $575, reduction of education costs, health insurance, and enriching career experience. Upon completion of service, members will also receive the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $6,345 or an end-of-service cash stipend of up to $1,800.
Visit our website to learn more about our program, the AmeriCorps National Service benefits and how to apply: www.nola.gov/mayor/americorps