New Orleans Mayor's Executive Office - AmeriCorps VISTA Service Year
The City of New Orleans VISTA program is implemented by the Office of Mayor LaToya Cantrell. The City is seeking passionate individuals to build capacity to break the cycle of poverty and empower our community. New Orleans is a welcoming city with a unique culture, plentiful natural spaces, and a reputation for hospitable and friendly residents.
The Mayor’s Office delivers excellent service to its citizens with courage, competence and compassion. We facilitate partnerships, link strong leaders and new ideas and leverage critical resources to move New Orleans forward. Our decisions are informed by effective communication and active citizen involvement.
The goal of the VISTA project is to build the capacity of the Mayor’s office to better serve our community. The member will build out and update document tracking, contact and data management systems, and coordination between departments, constituents and community partners. The member will research innovative ways to modernize the Mayor’s Office operations; ie: scheduling, event/meeting requests, inner office communication standards, and more.
The VISTA member will have the opportunity to learn more about how city government operates, to participate in office operations, and to find creative solutions to overcome communication and data tracking barriers. The project will better support New Orleans residents, particularly those that have been historically underserved and hard to reach, to keep community members better informed.
Throughout one year of service, the VISTA member will work with the Mayor’s Office to improve upon a created toolkit to provide better responses to our constituents and make programs more accessible to the community. The member will create the following:
- Enhanced constituent services guide
- Accomplishment and goals tracking visual representations
- Archival data management system
- Effective communications for strategic initiatives
- The VISTA member will also work on strategic projects in the Mayor’s office as needed.
If you are interested in serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA, please note the following:
- AmeriCorps is a national service year requiring 12 months of service, full time work hours (M-F, 9-5, in-person) and flexible hours on occasion.
- Team members must either be fully vaccinated or present a negative test every week to work at City Hall.
- For their national service, members receive a bi-weekly living allowance of $575, reduction of education costs, health insurance, and enriching career experience. Upon completion of service, members will also receive the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $6,345 or an end-of-service cash stipend of up to $1,800.
Visit our website to learn more about our program, the AmeriCorps National Service benefits and how to apply: www.nola.gov/mayor/americorps