MOSQUITO CONTROL INSPECTOR
The Public Works Department, Highway and Bridge Maintenance Division, is seeking qualified candidates for the following exciting opportunity:
MOSQUITO CONTROL INSPECTOR
The Mosquito Control Inspector for the Highway and Bridge Maintenance Division is an hourly position that engages in routine field inspection work in the control and extermination of mosquitoes. Incumbent is responsible for mosquito control and surveillance activities to aid the County's larvicide and adulticide programs.
Work involves responsibility for making inspections of suspected mosquito breeding places in residential and rural areas. Work follows established routines with specific instructions received from superiors on all new assignments. Work includes collecting and identifying mosquito species in the field, recording all daily activities, updates data, and reports mosquito problems to supervisor as needed in a timely manner. Incumbent utilizes appropriate control method(s), applies the control method(s) in accordance with the applicable laws and Broward County policy. Work is reviewed by the incidence of public complaints against mosquito nuisance and field inspections by supervisors. This position involves routine and frequent exposure to toxic/caustic chemicals. The ability to wear an appropriately-fitted respirator mask and other personal protective equipment are requirements for this position.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
At least six (6) months of professional work experience handling pesticide, and some knowledge of public health pest control or closely-related experience.
Special Certifications and Licenses
- Public Health Applicators License issued by State of Florida must be obtained within six (6) months of employment. For more information on how to obtain a Public Health Applicators License, please visit the Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services at: https://www.fdacs.gov/Business-Services/Mosquito-Control/Mosquito-Control-Licensing
- Florida Class E Driver's License for duration of hire.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess one or more of the following:
- Associates degree or higher in Biology, Entomology or related field
- Training certification in mosquito biology and control techniques
- Class A or B valid Florida Commercial Driver's License
- 1+ years of experience using larvicide equipment and turbine sprayer (i.e., calibration of equipment, measuring/mixing, loading and testing of biological larvicide materials, such as Vectobac or similar products).
- 1+ years of experience with Surveillance and Testing activities (i.e., setting up traps, dip sampling, larval counts, data collection and analysis)
- 1+ years of experience working with Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- 1+ years of experience with repair/maintenance of mosquito control equipment.
- 1+ years of experience with supporting aerial mosquito control operation
For consideration of international degrees, you must have your degree evaluated by an approved member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). To access the NACES Membership directory, please visit www.naces.org/members.