Microbiology Technician - Madison, WI
Regular Full-Time Position: Tuesday-Saturday
As a trusted partner, our Public Health mission is to make food systems safer, healthier and more sustainable. Throughout our global network in 27 countries, we offer to our customers a wide range of testing and innovative solutions dedicated to preventing health risks related to food, environment and consumer goods. External growth has been a key pillar of our history with more than 40 acquisitions completed in the last 10 years.
If you want to contribute to an inspiring long-term purpose, to be part of a fast growing company on a high-value market with significant build-up opportunities, and to grow in an entrepreneurial and warm environment, join us!
YOUR DAY TO DAY LIFE
We are looking for a Microbiology Technician in 3688 Kinsman BLVD, Madison, WI 53704 USA. Your mission will be to:
- Read plates and tubes, as required, to determine the number of organisms in the sample
- Record findings on worksheet for verification
- Write identification onto plates so that client and sample number can be tracked
- Pipette sample solution into tubes or plates according to the analysis process being performed
- Pour the agar into plates or tubes to begin the growth process
- Prepare sample for analysis by recording, weighing, and blending
- Collect plates and place them in the incubator for the specified amount of time and temperature
- Prepare media and broth for use in pathogen testing as required
- Sterilize materials needed for analysis. Autoclave plates before discarding
- Perform food poisoning, pH and other analysis tests on sample when requested by the client
- Ensure that media and materials are prepared for the next testing sequence
- Maintain knowledge of Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) that is required to complete job responsibilities
- Set up equipment and materials needed for analysis
- Support corporate quality and continuous improvement process
- Perform necessary housekeeping duties in a timely manner, keeping the work areas and equipment clean and sanitized
- Must participate in cleaning schedule and maintain retain samples as required
- Adhere to all safety policies
- Responsibility to support laboratory management in the implementation maintenance, and improvement of the management system
- Perform other related tasks as needed
A basic knowledge of personal computers is useful to accurately enter testing data and results. A basic knowledge of laboratory safety procedures and policies is necessary to ensure a safe working environment. Planning skills are useful to maintain supplies of analysis materials and ensure analysis is completed within specified time.
Required skills: Analytical skills are essential to complete analysis procedures and determine the concentration of the microorganism. A general knowledge of the Laboratory Information Management System is required to process client data. Physical dexterity is required for manipulating samples.
Work Environment: The incumbent works in a laboratory setting with proper lighting and temperature control. Occasional exposure to laboratory fumes, chemicals, and materials will occur when in the laboratory. Safety equipment of gloves, laboratory coat and eyeglasses may need to be worn depending on the testing process. The incumbent may use the autoclave daily to complete the analysis process. Continuous lifting of analysis materials weighing up to 50 pounds are necessary to transport media materials. The incumbent can expect extended time spent in a standing position. The incumbent should be able to detect slight variation in shades of colors.