Internship - Software Engineering (2023)
Position: Software Engineering Intern
The Software Engineering Intern works closely with a mentor and the core development team on an individual project of your choosing. Typical projects create medical visualization, image processing or robot control algorithms. Your robotics, haptics, machine learning and graphics knowledge and expertise will enable you to implement a software component of an actual surgical robot being used to treat live patients. You will also interact with hardware, electronics, and mechanical design engineers in a fast-paced, collaborative, start-up environment.
Internships are intended for senior year Bachelors and Masters degree students and generally run from June through August for approximately 13 weeks in spring, summer, or fall 2023. Interns are typically full-time and work up to 40 hours per week. We can be flexible with timeline, length, and schedule based on your needs, and we are open to internships during fall and spring.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Create an innovative solution to a selected research project
- Design, code, and debug the software code of your research project
- Write well-designed, testable code and unit tests for that code
- Respond to code reviews and modify your code to conform to feedback received
- Present your research and results to the members of the engineering department
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Senior year students in BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 2+ years programming experience (C++ preferred)
- Clear understanding of OO programming concepts
- Experience with user interface design for software applications
- Familiarity with computer graphics, linear algebra, and core image visualization concepts
- Openness to exploring and integrating third-party software development kits and libraries
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Ability to manage uncertainty, push the limits, and think like an owner
- Experience with robot control, including FK and IK technologies preferred
- Experience with VTK/ITK or other visualization libraries preferred
- Familiarity with CT scan images and DICOM protocol standards preferred
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This job operates primarily in a professional office environment and may require field work in a clinical setting or manufacturing facility.
- This position requires the regular use of the Yomi robot
- Prolonged periods working on a computer
- Ability to lift/push/carry items up to 20 pounds
- Frequent exposure to moderate noise common to an office environment
Position Type and Work Schedule
This is a full-time position limited to 40 hours per week.
This position may require up to 5% travel.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.