Talent Solutions Trainee (Hybrid Schedule)
Talent Solutions Trainee (Hybrid Schedule)
Target Class: Human Resources Associate
Location: Hartford, CT
Date Opened: 6/27/2022 3:15:00 PM
Salary: Our salaries have increased effective 7/1/2022 to 65,265 - $93,678/year!
Job Type: Open to the Public
Close Date: 7/6/2022 11:59:00 PM
Enjoy working in fast-paced environments? Are you looking for a pathway to success?
If so, then this opportunity is for you!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Administrative Services (DAS) is committed to providing timely, proficient, fair, efficient services that address the needs of state agencies, municipalities, private industry, and the general public.
In the DAS Talent Solutions Division, Recruitment and Exams, we lead all aspects of the State’s recruitment strategy and administer the State’s Applicant Tracking System (JobAps). We strive to tell narratives, establish relationships, and support the hiring managers and business partners to recruit and retain a qualified and diverse applicant pool.
Connect with us on LinkedIn State of Connecticut!
We are looking for a Talent Solutions Trainee (Leadership Associate) with a target class of Human Resources Associate to participate in a development program designed to equip you with the vital knowledge, skills, and abilities required to transition into the target class of Human Resources Associate.
We will train you to craft appealing job postings, conducting community outreach, shortlisting candidates for our agency business partners, and so much more. We are seeking individuals who succeed in changing environments where no two days are the same. As a Talent Solutions Trainee, you will be exposed to:
- Digital recruiting
- Employer branding
- Performing outreach & creating talent pipelines
- Certifying lists of eligible candidates
- Shortlisting candidates to recommend the most qualified to hiring managers
- Assisting with applicant support
- Participating in creative and strategic projects related to recruitment, including attending job fairs, creating recruitment related materials and videos, etc.
This is a full-time position, working Monday-Friday, primarily in our Hartford office, at 450 Columbus Boulevard. While the location of our office is conveniently nestled between phenomenal restaurants and major highways, this position can be performed in a hybrid capacity.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?
- We offer a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time off, including 12* paid holidays per calendar year. *13 starting in 2023
- We also encourage a strong work/life balance for all state employees.
- We also offer opportunities for professional and personal growth.
- We have limitless areas for you to perform relevant and significant work.
- We are a team where everyone matters.
- We believe that today’s talent is tomorrow’s success.
Want to know what it is like to #MakeanImpaCT as a State of Connecticut employee?
- See what two of our Talent Solutions employees have to say about working for the State of CT.
- Learn more about the role from the perspective of Raisa, who joined us as a career changer and Hayley who joined us recently right out of college!
"Joining the State of Connecticut in 2018 as a career changer from non-profit education was the best decision I made! I applied to the Leadership Associate role because I knew that I wanted to train for a career - not just a job. With the tools and resources given during my training period, I have been able to find new challenges to encourage my growth as a Human Resources professional all while further developing my career. A career in public service differs from any other job simply because the work that we do has such a greater impact to those who we serve in the State of CT!" - Raisa Capellan| Principal Human Resources Specialist, Talent Solutions Division, Department of Administrative Services.
"Six months ago I joined the State of Connecticut as a Leadership Associate in the Talent Solutions division of Statewide Human Resources Management. In that short period of time, I’ve already come to find how rewarding being a State employee is. As a Leadership Associate, I am able to apply what I’ve learned in the classroom to my everyday experiences and build valuable relationships with my peers and mentors all while striving towards becoming a successful Human Resources Professional. The stability and longevity of being a State employee is unmatched along with the limitless opportunities the State of Connecticut has to offer. As a recent college graduate, I can confidently say that my time at the State of Connecticut has just begun!"- Hayley Newhouse | Leadership Associate, Talent Solutions Division, Department of Administrative Services.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency incumbents in this class participate in a formal development program designed to provide the necessary knowledge and skills to qualify for appointment to a designated managerial or professional confidential class assigned to the MP Pay Plan.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Learn and gain an understanding of State agency missions and workplaces.
- Build job postings, exam plans, and certify applicant lists within JobAps, the State's Applicant Tracking System (ATS).
- Shortlist, screen, refer and recommend candidates for employment.
- Assist in the maintenance, and use of JobAps.
- Field and respond to inquiries from job applicants.
- Assist in training other State Human Resources professionals on recruiting tools and topics.
- Research innovative ideas to close sourcing gaps.
- Utilize creative sourcing strategies including social media, focusing on hard to fill and high turnover positions.
- Assist in the re-employment of laid-off employees.
- Interprets, coordinates and maintains compliance with human resources laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Assist in revising job classifications and conducts research in support of new or revised job classifications.
- Assist in providing regular recruitment-related analytics for various business purposes.
- Participate in talent acquisition projects as assigned.
- Assist in organizational analysis and review.
- Assist in business analysis, writing and correspondence.
- Other ad hoc tasks, research, and reporting, as assigned.
- See other examples of duties here.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable oral and written communication skills; interpersonal skills; considerable ability to understand and apply state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable ability to analyze and solve problems; considerable ability to effect and manage change; considerable ability to plan for and implement excellent customer service; considerable ability to learn a new knowledge base in functional area; considerable ability to learn and apply policy and procedure; managerial aptitude.
Candidates must be able to meet the experience and training requirements of the designated class at the completion of the development program.
- Bachelor’s degree conferred by closing date of job posting.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel including creating formulas and analyzing data.
- Experience or coursework preparing written correspondence without spelling errors, with complete sentences and grammar and proofreading your work.
- Experience creating content and posting on social media channels.
- Experience relaying information to public audiences and developing measurement outcomes to prove messages are understood.
- Experience working in an environment requiring constant movement from one task to another and meeting deadlines.
- Experience asking questions, finding facts and making decisions based on facts.
- Experience or coursework performing research to reach a conclusion.
- Experience following directions to complete a task.
1. Prior to appointment to this class there must be an approved managerial or professional confidential designated class identified to which the incumbent will be appointed upon successful completion of an approved development program. Incumbents in this class must meet the experience and training requirements of the identified designated class at the end of the development program.
2. The work schedule for this classification is full-time. Incumbents must work a full-time forty (40) hours per week schedule.
3. Incumbents in this class will be eligible for reclassification to the designated class without competitive examination upon successful completion of the development program and satisfactory service. The length of the development program should be designed around the requirements of the designated class and the prior experience of the incumbent but in no case should be less than one (1) year or exceed three (3) calendar years in accordance with C.G.S. 5-234.
4. All appointments to this class shall be under terms of an approved development program and in accordance with a time schedule approved by the Department of Administrative Services.
5. No additional working test period shall be required upon successful completion of the development program.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.