Human Resources Internship
Reports to: Human Resources Generalist
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Internship
Minimum compensation: $16.10 per hour
American Progress is seeking a Human Resources (HR) intern with a strong work ethic who is highly motivated, organized, and detail oriented. The selected candidate will support the HR team on a variety of projects, including providing administrative and logistical support for the onboarding process, performance management, and benefits open enrollment. This internship position provides opportunities for students to gain real-world experience working on a wide range of HR projects in an office environment.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” This intern will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
The primary duties of this role will be assisting HR staff with day-to-day responsibilities that are crucial to the team’s operations:
- Work closely with American Progress’ recruiter to learn about the recruiting process.
- Post open positions using the applicant tracking system and on other job sites as needed.
- Assist in new-hire onboarding, including collecting documents and completing checklists.
- Complete employment verifications and background checks.
- Assist with benefits support functions and special projects.
- Assist with benefits open enrollment.
- Learn to use HR management systems such as Paycom, Salesforce, and Unanet.
- Prepare training materials, slides, and handouts.
- Maintain existing personnel records and terminated staff files as needed.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Current pursuance of an associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree, or a recent graduate.
- Interest in human resources in a mission-driven organization.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of employee information.
- Keen attention to detail to ensure all employee information is accurate.
- Familiarity with human resources functions and duties.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to plan, organize, and follow up on projects to ensure their completion.
- Ability to diagnose problems and identify creative solutions.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress interns are paid at the Washington, D.C., minimum wage rate of $16.10 per hour. Interns receive paid time off for federal holidays. Interns are expected to be available to work from and commute to American Progress’ Washington, D.C., office at least two days per week. This position is not represented by a union.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid office work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.