Fall 2022 Photojournalism Internship
Every year, The Seattle Times offers a series of paid internships to outstanding students eager to build a career in journalism. Our interns have the privilege to work closely with members of our Pulitzer Prize-winning staff on a variety of real-world assignments as employees of our established, renowned metropolitan newspaper and website. This Fall, you could be paid to train in your chosen profession at the Northwest’s leading daily news media organization.
Internships are available to Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors (including graduating Seniors) attending a four-year college or university, as well as graduate students. Applicants must be journalism majors or have a demonstrated commitment to print or online journalism, possess social media skills, and be digitally astute. Internship experience at other news organizations is strongly preferred.
If you meet most but not all of the qualifications listed, you may still be a candidate for this position. We encourage you to showcase any additional skills and unique experience as it relates to the role and its objectives. We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive newsroom and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. Strong preference is given to those applicants who specifically demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the importance of diverse cultural backgrounds and experiences in newsrooms.
Pay | This internship pays $17.27 per hour.
- Provide a link to your online portfolio containing 20–30 images that include news, features, portraits, sports, at least one photo story and an example of video work.
- Applicants must have a personal vehicle and furnish their own photo equipment.
- Must be 18 or older.
- Complete and submit your application below. We will only accept applications submitted through this page – applications mailed via USPS, as well as emails and calls, will not be considered.
- When attaching your resume and cover letter, please use the following naming convention: Internship-Document-ApplicantName. Example: Photo-CoverLetter-JohnDoe.
- Submit three references familiar with your work (with at least one reference being a current or former manager or supervisor).
- Provide a link to your online portfolio containing 20 to 30 images that include news, features, portraits, sports, at least one photo story and an example of video work. Alternatively, you may submit this information as an application file, with any associated links included being accessible and not behind a paywall. You must ensure your file size does not exceed 10 MB – reduce resolution of images, if necessary.
- Deadline: submit your application package by Friday, July 8th, 2022 at 4 p.m. PST.
- Confirmation: You will be notified once your application has been received. Check your file size before submitting. You will not receive a confirmation email if your file size exceeds the 10MB limit.
Please do not follow up about your application. We will notify all applicants about our decision after the deadline, which may take up to six weeks. For application assistance only, send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests for updates will not be answered.
Note: our application system works best with Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer 11 or Edge. Other internet browsers may not be supported.