The Woods Hole Group, Inc., a CLS Group company, is a leader in commercial oceanographic, marine environmental and fisheries services. The company provides consultancy, measurement, monitoring, numerical modeling and forecasting services to support offshore and coastal development, operations and protection. We are currently seeking applicants for the position of a Lead Oceanographer in our corporate office in Bourne, MA or in our Richmond, TX office. The Lead Oceanographer role is a key position in the Metocean Consultancy and Forecasting Team that forms part of our Energies and Infrastructures Business Unit. The primary focus of the role will involve undertaking metocean design and operating criteria studies to characterize metocean conditions in coastal and offshore environments. There will also be additional supporting activities associated with hindcast and forecast numerical modeling, ocean forecast services, metocean measurement and monitoring programs within the company.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Lead Oceanographer will have the following duties and responsibilities:
• Processing and analysis of meteorological and oceanographic data from in-situ, model and satellite sources in support of site characterization studies, derivation of metocean criteria to support offshore and coastal engineering design and operations, and operational forecasting.
• Review, analysis, and synthesis of scientific literature.
• The preparation of reports for site-specific metocean criteria studies.
• Advancing innovation of our metocean services and data products through the development and maintenance of analytical tools for operational use.
• Developing and utilizing mathematical and scientific techniques to compile, analyze, interpret, and graphically depict data.
• Assessing numerical model performance and undertaking numerical model validation.
• Providing support for field operations involving measured data quality control/quality assurance, processing, analysis and reporting.
• Documenting all research and development initiatives.
• Engagement with clients and vendors in support of projects and operations.
• Writing and presenting technical papers and presentations for conferences and publications procedures.
• Presentation of projects undertaken in client meetings, professional scientific/industry conferences and in scientific/industry publications.
• PhD and/or Post Doc in Physical Oceanography preferred. MS degree in Physical Oceanography or similar will also be considered.
• Excellent programming, engineering, mathematical, and problem-solving skills.
• Proficiency in MATLAB and Python.
• Expertise with other programming languages such as R, C#, C++, HTML, Java etc.
• Experience with numerical hindcast and forecast models.
• Experience working with large data sets using SQL.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to work in Windows, Mac and Linux environments.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Coastal and offshore work experience and/or knowledge is a plus.