Director of Development
Position Title: Director of Development
Organization: Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Position Type: Full-Time (37.5 + hours/week), Exempt
Reports To: Sr. Director of Development, Individual Giving
Pay Rate: $85K - $100K depending on experience
In addition to standard pay, compensation for this position includes:
- Comprehensive, low-cost healthcare coverage for employees
- Generous employer 401(k) contributions
- Employer-covered life insurance
Time Away from Work:
Being able to take time away from work is critical in bringing your best self to work. Time off benefits for this position include:
- Generous paid vacation time and sick leave
- COVID-19 sick pay for employees unable to work due to quarantine or isolation
- 14 observed Federal and Jewish holidays
- 3 floating holidays each year, which employees select from over 60 religious holidays and community days of importance
- 2 Wellness Days to be taken any time during the year to support employees’ mental wellness
- 4:00pm close time every Friday
Jewish Family Service of San Diego has a duty to provide and maintain a workplace that safeguards the health of our employees and their families, our guests, our volunteers, and the community from the COVID-19 virus. To help prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19, JFS requires that all its employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We make accommodations for eligible medical and religious exemptions, which can be discussed upon hire.
JFS is looking for a compassionate, mission-driven individual to join the Development team as the Director of Development. In this role, you have the opportunity to use your skill-set and past experiences to make a meaningful difference in your community and help change lives across San Diego. The Director of Development plays an integral role on the team by building and managing a portfolio of donors and prospects who have the capacity to make a major blended gift in addition to an annual gift of at least $25,000. The Director of Development reports directly to the Sr. Director of Development, Individual Giving and works closely with the other members of Jewish Family Service’s Advancement Team.
- Donor cultivation and prospecting, gift solicitation, and stewardship
- Collaborate within Development and/or other applicable JFS programs to move donors toward higher levels of giving
- Work closely with Director of Planned Giving to help identify prospects and make blended gift asks
- Manage a portfolio of 120-150 donors and prospects serving as primary relationship manager for that portfolio
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of JFS’s fundraising priorities and pertinent information about JFS’s strategic plan
- Communicate a compelling and inspired case for JFS; understanding how to connect the case with philanthropic needs of donors
- Ensure all actions with donors are recorded in the donor database, Raiser’s Edge
Skills/Abilities That Are a Must-Have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience preferred
- 5+ years of fundraising and/or nonprofit experience required
- Experience with moves management
- Commitment to the mission of JFS and the ability to articulate it
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-functional or diverse areas
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated record of completing assignments
- Ability to implement and execute an annual giving plan, including individualized cultivation, solicitation, and recognition strategies
- Experience working with active, involved volunteer leadership
- Proficiency in the use of donor software – Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Willing to travel throughout the Southern California.
- Must have access to transportation.
Skills/Abilities We’d Like You to Have:
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge CRM software
Read to Move Forward:
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on the following link;
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please, no phone calls. Please, principals only. Please, local candidates only (relocation is not provided).
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. For over 100 years, Jewish Family Service has been a trusted resource for the entire community, offering an array of services that are always life-changing, and often life-saving. At Jewish Family Service, we believe our employees are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each employee is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Come work at JFS and be our partner in Moving Forward Together. To learn more about JFS, please visit jfssd.org.
*Jewish Family Service is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.