IT Operations Intern – Fall/Winter 2022
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide and that includes our interns.
From day one, interns at NPR are given real-world, hands-on responsibilities. Working alongside top professionals in the field, interns do meaningful work across a variety of departments at NPR.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
Program Duration: October 3, 2022 - April 14, 2023
We at the Service Desk provide and support the computer and mobile equipment that NPR staff rely on. We manage the organization’s computers and collaborate with other teams to ensure they are operational for NPR staffs’ workdays and broadcasts. As an NPR IT Service Desk intern you will work as part of the IT Operations team to support technology and NPR staff as the first point of contact resolving and triaging requests. The internship will focus on resolving issues with applications, hardware, accounts, and connectivity in an enterprise IT environment as well as helping with reporting and projects.
- Provide telephone, email, remote support to resolve technical incidents for staff
- Diagnose issues with computer, mobile, and peripheral hardware
- Diagnose issues with network connectivity over ethernet, wireless, and VPN
- Troubleshoot OS and applications on PC, Mac, mobile
- Manage accounts for mail, telecom, and access controls
- Administer user and computer accounts using Active Directory, SCCM, and JAMF
- Monitor, triage, and take ownership of support incidents
- Assist in building PCs, installing applications, testing, maintaining, and supporting PCs, mobile devices, and peripherals
- Install and support desktop and networked printers
- Provide creative troubleshooting and support for applications and production systems
- Respond to service requests within required Service Level Agreements
- Assist with relevant IT and telecom projects
- Address system outages by following appropriate escalation path
- Perform periodic audits of equipment, access, and accounts
- Correspond with internal NPR clients and departments
- Create knowledge base articles for repeatable processes
- Adhere to Service Desk policies and procedures
- Adhere to all company security and compliance standards
WHO CAN APPLY?
- LOCATION: This internship will be based out of our Washington, D.C. office with flexibility to work remotely.
- EDUCATION: Must be a current student in an accredited degree program or a recent graduate of no more than 12 months from the month of the start of the internship. Progress toward a degree or certification in Information Technology or Computer Science preferred.
The candidate selected will have a majority of the following skills, abilities, competencies and knowledge:
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Basic PC hardware, application, OS, and mobile troubleshooting skills
- Exceptional customer service/interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to multitask and work well under pressure
- Prior Service Desk experience or equivalent education/technical training is a plus
- 25-40 hours per week
Applications close on Sunday, July 17th at 11:59 pm ET.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All interns must have authorization to work in the United States.
NPR mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Don’t forget to follow our Interns on Instagram for some behind the scenes action! Make sure to read about our commitment to diversity on our website. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.