Corporate Sponsorship, National Public Media Intern - Fall/Winter 2022
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide and that includes our interns.
From day one, interns at NPR are given real-world, hands-on responsibilities. Working alongside top professionals in the field, interns do meaningful work across a variety of departments at NPR.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
Program Duration: October 3, 2022 - April 14, 2023
INTERN WILL LEARN AND BE EXPOSED TO:
National Public Media (NPM) is the media sales division of NPR.
NPM offers the highest-profile public media sponsorship opportunities on NPR. Sponsorship offerings include flagship news programs like Morning Edition and All Things Considered, integrated presence on NPR.org, NPR Podcasts, NPR Apps, and custom activation packages. The ideal candidates have interest in working in a media sales environment, whether on the publisher or agency side, and are curious about the media industry. The main purpose of this role is to support the sponsorship sales teams in sales coordination and ad operations duties. Interns will come away from the program with a working knowledge of the advertising sales process.
As a corporate sponsorship intern, you’ll have the opportunity to focus more on analytics or copywriting depending on your interests.
- Manage flow of information cross-departmentally with sales, sales-marketing, advertising-operations, and media research teams
- Assist with database management: Salesforce, Trello, and Google Suite
- Pull audio files, air-checks, and screenshots to send to sponsors as confirmation of launch
- Write sponsor copy and obtain client approvals, provide creative input for pitch decks, and present internally for final project
- Gather industry research and market trends, articulate a story with data, and present internally for final project
- Contribute to group, session-long project
WHO CAN APPLY?
- LOCATION: This internship has the flexibility to be onsite at our New York, Chicago, or Culver City office, fully remote, and/or a hybrid version of the two based on the intern’s preference. Must be located in California, Washington, D.C., Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, or Virginia.
- EDUCATION: Must be a current student in an accredited degree program or a recent graduate of no more than 12 months from the month of the start of the internship.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team
- Excellent interpersonal and client-facing skills - ability to build positive relationships with a variety of personalities and roles
- Analytical, strategic, and creative problem solving skills - must be comfortable working with numbers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Creative writing for sponsorship copy and client presentations
- Monday through Friday during business hours. Up to 40 hours per week
Applications close on July 17 at 11:59pm ET.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered. All interns must have authorization to work in the United States.
NPR mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Don’t forget to follow our Interns on Instagram for some behind the scenes action! Make sure to read about our commitment to diversity on our website. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.