National Spot Sales Team, National Public Media Intern – Fall/Winter 2022
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide and that includes our interns.
From day one, interns at NPR are given real-world, hands-on responsibilities. Working alongside top professionals in the field, interns do meaningful work across a variety of departments at NPR.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are committed to doing the right thing in our journalism and in every role at NPR. This means that integrity, adherence to our ethical standards, and compliance with legal obligations are fundamental responsibilities for every employee at NPR.
Program Duration: October 3, 2022 - April 14, 2023
National Public Media (NPM) is the media sales division of NPR.
NPM offers the highest-profile public media sponsorship opportunities on NPR. Sponsorship offerings include flagship news programs like Morning Edition and All Things Considered, integrated presence on NPR.org, NPR Podcasts, NPR Apps, and custom packages and event activation NPR Music and Events.
The sales teams represent NPR's radio and digital platforms. The ideal candidates have some experience working in a media sales environment, whether on the publisher or agency side, and are curious about the media industry, passionate about public media, detail-oriented, and have a proven ability to get things done.
- Work with Sales, Marketing, Operations, and Research teams to learn how to manage the communication and success of a variety of projects and campaigns, both internally and externally
- Assist sales teams with proposal development, inventory clearance, billing procedures, client reports, etc., for both radio and digital platforms
- Assist sales team with database management, e.g., Salesforce and Google Doc data entry and maintenance
- Work with affiliate stations in developing and organizing strategic sales positioning points
- Provide all-around coverage and process streamlining for a busy sales team - including researching opportunities and market trends, meeting preparation and gathering follow-up materials etc.
- Conduct market research to identify prospects; gather marketing research and develop pitch decks for clients
- Other special projects as assigned
WHO CAN APPLY?
- LOCATION: This internship has the flexibility to be onsite at our NY, CA, or IL office.
- EDUCATION: Must be a current student in an accredited degree program or a recent graduate of no more than 12 months from the month of the start of the internship.
- Strong research skills and the ability to work under tight deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational, custom brand/client presentation and proofreading skills
- Ability to learn new research database interfaces
- Ability to collaborate with various departments and projects across the company including marketing, sales, finance and digital operations
- The best candidates share these traits with our team:
- Creativity, initiative, curiosity and flexibility – tempered by pragmatism, patience and acute attention to detail
- Interest and passion for current media, marketing and digital trends
- A friendly, can-do attitude and a good sense of humor
- Ability to work well in a team environment that span a diverse group with a variety of personalities
- Enthusiasm for public media, its mission and its programs – we love fans!
Applications close on Sunday, July 17th at 11:59 pm ET.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Don’t forget to follow our Interns on Instagram for some behind the scenes action! Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.