Research Specialist, Digital Biotechnologies
We are powering the age of immune medicine–you can too. At Adaptive, our goal is to harness the power of the adaptive immune system to make a difference in the lives of people living with many different diseases.
As an Adapter, you will be surrounded by driven colleagues who think boldly and innovate fearlessly. You will experience meaningful challenges in your work and be fueled by the knowledge that you’re making a difference in patient’s lives.
You belong here – come discover your story at Adaptive.
Adaptive is seeking an exceptional Research Specialist to join a new subsidiary spinout, Digital Biotechnologies Inc. The Research Specialist will play a critical role in helping to develop a “Next” Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) instrument specifically designed for clinical medicine. Present methods for high-throughput sequencing are not suitable for many clinical applications, as all current NGS platforms lack the combination of high accuracy, rapid turnaround time, and low cost that would lead to robust clinical utility. In collaboration with academic and industry scientists across the country, Digital Biotechnologies is engineering the first solid-state sequencer with the specifications necessary for a widely applicable clinical sequencing instrument. This position will manage, design, and coordinate research-focused experiments that leverage Digital’s novel intellectual property to realize the company’s strategic objectives in fundamental science, health care and business development.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Design, synthesize, and characterize advanced DNA-based nanostructures, methods, and models, utilizing mastery of standard principles, theories, and techniques to solve specific problems and create unique solutions within the field of DNA nanotechnology in collaboration with a team of other researchers
- Independently analyze data, interpret results, and develop next steps
- Prepare presentations and report findings to outside teams and senior leadership
- Facilitate transfer of developed methods and/or assays to the development and/or production laboratories, prepare documentation including SOP and forms
- Effectively prioritize and manage multiple experiments of varying size and scope
- Be a source of expertise for cutting edge nanotechnology and single-molecule electronics by keeping up with current literature
Position Requirements (Education, Experience, Other)
- Bachelor's degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering or related field
- 3+ years of laboratory experience in an academic or industry lab-setting
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with a team of other researchers
- Ability to synthesize complex concepts to generate hypothesis-driven research questions
- Strong background in molecular biology, DNA structural chemistry and nanotechnology, single molecule electronics or physics
- Experience with nanoscale materials characterization using atomic force microscopy (AFM) techniques or other scanning probe microscopy techniques
- Experience with AFM modes for nanoelectrical characterization including electrostatic force microscopy, and conductive atomic force microscopy
- Competent with microfabrication of complex, multilayer, thin film structures and characterization techniques, such as photolithography, dip pen nanolithography, and scanning electron microscopy
- Experience with wide range of molecular biology techniques: PCR, nucleic acid isolation, qPCR, NGS
- Proven critical thinking and ability to independently manage projects and experiments, compare multiple approaches, and make selections based on their applicability to achieve project goals
- Experience in presenting work to immediate supervisors and outside teams, report and SOP writing, project transfer and document preparation
- Windows OS, Mac OS, and MS Office literacy
Job requires laboratory work in lab handling biological material including blood, bone marrow, and tissue. Work occasionally requires flexible and/or extended hours.
Staff may have to periodically spend extended periods of time standing/sitting within the lab while executing repetitive work.
Where permitted by applicable law, applicant must have received, or be willing to receive, a COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire to be considered for employment.
Adaptive Biotechnologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Interview accommodations may be requested during initial interview scheduling communications.
NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: Adaptive Biotechnologies values our relationships with our Recruitment Partners and will only accept resumes from those partners who have active agreements with Adaptive. Adaptive Biotechnologies is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited or are received by any employee of Adaptive Biotechnologies who is not a member of the Human Resources team.