USL Special Events Internship - Fall 2022
USL Work Experience Program
Job Title: SPECIAL EVENTS UWEP
Position Type: Internship - For College Credit Hours Only
Semester: FALL 2022
Location: REMOTE OR HYBRID
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
The United Soccer League (USL) is shaping the future of soccer in America. We are the nation’s largest and fastest-growing professional soccer organization, bringing the world’s game to more and more communities across the United States and Canada. Based in Tampa, Fla., the USL oversees multiple professional and elite pre-professional leagues, including the USL Championship, USL Super League, USL League One, USL League Two, USL W League, USL Academy, and Super Y League.
We are authentic to the spirit of the game, honoring the dedication of the players, the passion of the supporters, and the culture of the clubs. We believe in the power of soccer to unite people, provide unique life experiences, and have a meaningful impact in local communities. We work as a team, challenge the status quo, and strive to make everyone feel welcome.
United Soccer League is the proud recipient of Front Office Sports' Best Employers in Sports 2021 and Tampa Bay Business Journal's Coolest Office Spaces.
Under the direction and guidance of USL Executives and Leaders (mentors), the USL Work Experience Program (UWEP) provides students with the unique opportunity to gain practical sport management experience in a professional sports league setting. By working on various strategic projects and initiatives, UWEP participants will gain hands on experience with league staff as well as member teams.
Participants are tasked with and responsible for partnering within a specialized department but will interact with all league departments across the organization including business development, digital, club services, analytics, and more; with the ultimate goal of providing students with well-rounded practical work experience in sports.
Under the direction of the Senior Manager, Events, the Special Events UWEP is responsible for assisting with the planning of two primary categories of events:
- Business Conferences - USL Mid-Year Meeting, USL Winter Summit, Technical Meeting (this amounts to 60% of time)
- Sporting Events - (4) League Final matches and (3) youth tournaments (this amounts to 30% of time)
- Additional special events put on by the League Office (this amounts to 10% of time)
This is a great position for those studying Event Planning / Management or Tourism and Hospitality Management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Support Event Manager in organizing and preparing for various projects and events.
- Assist in developing custom event registration sites utilizing the Event Management Software, CVENT.
- Monitor event registration and analyze registration data via reporting in CVENT and PASSKEY.
- Assist with budget development and maintenance.
- Review vendor quotes compared to event needs and budget allowance.
- Assist in the RFP process which includes researching and analyzing individual RFP responses.
- Participate in departmental meetings, committee meetings, and staff meetings related to events and taking meeting minutes.
- Assist with data entry and other administrative tasks.
- Participants must be working towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree in related field and/or training and must certify that they are able to receive college credit from an accredited college or university for their participation.
- Solid computer skills and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook are a must.
- Excellent verbal communication skills are required.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must. Must have a “team-first” mentality with an eagerness to learn.
- Should be extremely organized and detail oriented, with a focus on quality and consistency.
- Ability to work under fluid deadlines and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Knowledge of sports/soccer is preferred, but not required.
- If completing the Work Experience Program remotely, participants must have access to a computer or laptop with reliable internet connection.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.