Virtual Journalism with OM Global Story
Virtual Journalism Internships offer an adventure and opportunity for those wanting to capture transformational testimonies and experience cross-cultural work settings. Seeking to invest in young professionals who have a passion for communications and missions, we provide the chance for participants to grow in their communications skills and relationship with Christ, and gain exposure to missions – all while working from home! Interns will be part of a cohort of other like-minded professionals and experience both community and learning together.
Over 10 weeks, journalism interns will create media projects as per their specific gifts and skills as assigned by the Internship Program Coordinator. Interns will collaborate with others on some larger projects, but each intern will also receive their own assignments, support and feedback. Quality coaching is provided by OM workers with years of experience.
With the aid of technology, interns can interview a missions worker in Zambia one day and chat with someone in Thailand the next! Be prepared to not only hear inspiring testimonies from missions workers, involved in a variety of ministries, but to help share that story with believers elsewhere and inspire them to take action!
As OM is a multicultural organization, participants can expect to work with people from various countries and backgrounds.
This internship is completely virtual and requires no travelling. Though interns will not physically be together, check-ins and group meetings will help build community and a platform for dynamic idea exchanges.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Join the virtual team’s orientation and training for a week
- Participate in weekly development and coaching calls
- Conduct interviews and capture stories from around the world
- Utilize your writing skills to produce appropriate media content, including for global print and social media campaigns.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Self-motivated and creative.
- The ability to conduct interviews and write quality articles.
- Attention to detail and excellence in work.
- Applicant must submit an online portfolio of his/her work for review and evaluation.
- Must have their own laptop
- Proficiency in English writing
- All interns must formally accept and abide by OM USA’s Statement of Faith for the duration of the internship.
- International internships are not paid positions and all financial needs should be covered with personal support. Our organization will provide tools and training to raise funds.
- Required pre-Field training through on-line materials and video conference sessions with coaches and an Intern Cohort in the weeks leading up to departure date. Includes debriefing with coaches on return.
- Joining dates of the Virtual Internship are set, but length of stay can be flexible.
- 31-Jan 2022 (proposed 8-week internship)
- 30-May 2022 (proposed 10-week internship)
- 12-Sept 2021 (proposed 8-week internship)
Qualifications of on-field supervisor:
- Bachelor’s Degree in English and Mass Communications
- 10 years of cross-cultural Communications work with OM that included writing, editing, video producing, photography, social media management, and managing interns.
- Degree Credit available upon the approval of your university/college supervisors.
Stipend of $500