Principal Writer, Human Capital
Working closely with multiple stakeholders, the Principal Writer HC will help plan and then execute a robust annual portfolio of content in partnership with, and for the benefit of, our Members about the challenges they face. As a senior HC leader, the Principal Writer HC engages deeply with Senior Advisors and Senior Fellows to extract HC-related insights specifically of interest to CEOs, CHROs, and other senior leaders in the HC space. The position requires a record of publications focused on the HR/workforce issues. The Principal Writer HC works with Program Directors of delivery channels (e.g., conferences, councils), Center and Institute leaders (and their Advisory Boards) to determine subject matter and research content of deliverables so that The Conference Board continues to be a reliable source of timely and relevant information about Human Capital. The Principal Writer HC also works in close cooperation with other TCB staff (e.g., Digital Media, Public Relations, Publishing, Digital Communications). Works closely with, and as part of the HC team, to add value and research depth to member offerings, as well as support activities to obtain additional funding for parts of the research program.
Help plan and then execute a robust annual portfolio of content in partnership with, and for the benefit of, our Members:
- Bring creative ideas to our content brainstorming sessions. Monitor news and trends related to human capital and identify information gaps that we can fill with short-form and long-form content; and
- Create original content including collective Member insights, short data studies, and longer-form analysis and features.
Create content by collaborating with a variety of stakeholders (including the Member Engagement Team, internal and external SMEs, the HC Center researchers, writers, digital media and marketing teams) including:
- Short-form content created with concepts/input/content from Senior Advisors and Senior Fellows, Human Capital on predetermined topics from the annual portfolio, likely reflecting interviews with and survey data from our Members as well as their own HC expertise;
- Pre-read & summary documents for HC working group Members as well as final reports for full editorial production;
- Short-form content of distilled insights from our conferences, webcasts, podcasts, and our on-line community platform;
- Website and digital event copy for email marketing as well as the TCB website;
- ‘Insights” for social media; and
- Compelling visuals that can convey research findings at a glance
Create “insights for what’s ahead” re: human capital topics with the goal of obtaining business media coverage targeting outlets (Bloomberg TV/Radio, Forbes, CNBC Squawk Box, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Fox News, NPR), HR media/podcasts (SHRM, Human Resource Executive, HR Happy Hour, Drive Through HR) and social media impact (LinkedIn, Twitter).
Create high-level Board, CEO and CHRO level briefing presentations on produced content and/or interrelated themes and issues.
Lead major, cross-center writing projects each year involving our executive team and the most senior level executives from across various industries.
Build and maintain effective working relationships with HC Center staff and stakeholders across TCB (for example, marketing, editorial/production, digital media, Conference and Council teams).
Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Arts; I/O psychology strongly preferred, English/ communications/ journalism also strongly considered
- 10+ years of writing experience; writing experience in the human capital space in a research function strongly preferred
- Extensive experience and exceptional ability to write engaging, data-driven content that targets CEOs and CHROs
- Strong command of the business landscape, superior business and human capital acumen
- Ability to collaborate and build trust with senior internal and external stakeholders
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to create high quality work efficiently while managing multiple projects autonomously
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, collaboration, presentation, project, and time management skills
- Experience distilling the most important information from a presentation
- Ability to tell visual stories to effectively illustrate content, e.g., infographics, compelling visuals and experience developing content for social media sites
- Customer service skills in support of our Member companies
- Fluent ability in using Microsoft suite of technology platforms in PC environment (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel)