Visiting Instructors of Computer Science
Visiting Instructors of Computer Science - Search #12152
Paulson College of Engineering & Computing / Department of Computer Science
The Department Computer Science in the Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering & Computing at Georgia Southern University has openings for two visiting instructor positions in Computer Science for the academic year 2022-2023.
Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving about 27,000 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via a growing online program. Through our degree offerings at the associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
To equitably serve a fast growing and highly diverse student body and to fulfill the University’s commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, we actively seek candidates with a demonstrated commitment to Inclusive Excellence. Candidates whose work furthers the institution’s goals and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Within this setting, Georgia Southern University's Department of Computer Science offers an on-campus Bachelor of Science degree (accredited by CAC of ABET) with a major in Computer Science and a hybrid-format Master of Science degree (ranked 21st by U.S. News and World Report) with a major in Computer Science. The BS program has specializations leading to certifications in multiple domains, including Network and Computer Security, Game Programming, Software Engineering, and Broadband and Mobile Systems. The department has strong relationships with many local companies. A senior capstone project program sponsored by these companies enhances our students’ educational experiences and provides faculty with ongoing opportunities for interaction with industry.
Position Description: Reporting to the department chair, the visiting instructors will teach in areas including programming; algorithms; data communications and networking; database systems; software testing and quality; and cyber security. These are academic year appointments for the months of August 2022 through May 2023. All visiting positions are non-tenure track appointments, with the possibility of reappointment based on funding availability and satisfactory performance for up to two years. The second year is a terminal year, without exception. The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• Earned Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, or a closely related field by August 1, 2022 with at least 18 graduate semester hours in Computer Science.
• Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives.
• Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring, and curriculum design and development.
• Earned terminal degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, or a closely related field by August 1, 2022.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
• All work (with limited exceptions such as research and study abroad and outside activities such as grading and email correspondence) for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the University for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
• Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus.
• Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the three campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins June 06, 2022 and continues until the position is filled. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three (3) professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Hong Zhang, Search Chair, Search #12152
Georgia Southern University
More information about the institution is available through https://apptrkr.com/3105941 or cec.georgiasouthern.edu/cs/. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.