Software - QA & Test Engineering Internship (Fall 2022)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2022 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December) or into early Spring 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their manager, mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Fremont, CA
- Palo Alto, CA
About the Team
Tesla is seeking extraordinary engineering students who are natural problem solvers and have a passion for innovation and quality. Interns in this organization will work with multiple teams across engineering while still maintaining autonomy in independent projects. Our QA and Test engineers lie at the intersection of development and deployment, playing a critical in the design, development, and support of the most visible features and infrastructures at Tesla.
What to Expect
Qualified applicants may be reviewed by one or more of the following teams:
- Applications Engineering QA: The Applications Engineering team builds the platforms and applications that are the backbone of Tesla’s day-to-day operations. Our platforms and applications allow Tesla to scale and provide the best end-to-end experience for our employees and customers. As an intern you will ensure the quality of software that users experience both inside and outside of Tesla.
- Chassis System Firmware Test: As a firmware developer intern in test on the body controls and thermal firmware team, you will be responsible for ensuring the accurate testing and coverage reporting of embedded code running on Tesla vehicle products. In addition, the role includes designing and maintaining embedded hardware and software test environments that simulate real world system interactions and report automated results on a regular basis. Come join a team of deeply knowledgeable engineers that strive to build the most robust and reliable embedded systems using cutting edge software development tools and practices.
- Infotainment Software QA: As an intern with the Infotainment Software QA team you will help to ensure great quality of Tesla’s UI and/or Autopilot software for current and next generation vehicle programs. Interns on this team will work with Systems Software QA, Automation Framework, UX General Testing, Mobile Apps Testing or General QA Automation.
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
- Familiarity in a major programming language such as C/C++, Python, Rust, or Java, and strong scripting skills in at least one common language (Perl, Ruby, Bash, etc.)
- Nice to haves for Apps and Vehicle Software: experience with Docker, Jenkins, Selenium
- Nice to have for Chassis System: strong physics, thermal and/or mechanical functions, embedded data acquisition tools (National Instruments, Kvaser, PEAK-System), understanding of revision control software
- Good grasp of QA and Testing methodology and automation
- Demonstrate good understanding of software fundamentals including software design, algorithm development, data structures, code modularity, and maintainability
- Demonstrate strong understanding of testing concepts including white box and black box testing, regression testing, performance testing, etc.
- Ability to work independently; detail-oriented and execution focused